FAQ-Passport Services
HomeFAQ › Passport Services


FAQ - Passport Services

FAQ – Passport Services

1. Does the applicant require to come in person for renewal of passport?

Ans: Yes, for all passport related services applicant should come in person.

2. How many photographs are required while applying for Passport?

Ans: 4 passport size (5 X 5cm) recent colored photographs (with white background).

3. If pages in the passport are finished, what can be done?

Ans: Applicant needs to apply for a New Passport.

4. What is the procedure for renewal of passport, if issued in India and how long will it take?

Ans: If the passport is issued in India it will take 8-10 working days to renew the passport. In case of a reference to the passport issuing authority, it could take more than one month. The application forms are to be submitted with 4 recent colour passport size photographs (with white background) and the original passport. Also bring along Resident Permit and its photocopy.

5. What is the procedure to renew the passport if the passport has been issued in Kuala Lumpur?

Ans: The documents required are 4 colour photographs (white background), original passport, application form duly filled and signed and requisite fee. Processing time -4 -8working days.

6. What is the procedure to apply for passport of a newly born child in Malaysia?

Ans: Documents required are 4 photographs (white background), Birth certificate (Original) and copy of Birth certificate, Parents’ passports and copies of parents’ passports, marriage certificate, duly filled in online application form for registration of birth duly signed by both the parents

Application form for issue of new passport duly filled with the thumb print of the child (In case of girl child right hand thumb impression is to be put and in case of boy child then left hand thumb impression is to be put). Processing time – 8-10 working days.


(I) Following marriage, remarriage or divorce: (a) An applicant applying for re-issue of passport for incorporation of the name of his/her spouse;
(b) A woman applying for change of name/surname in existing passport due to marriage;
(c) Divorcees applying for change of name OR for deletion of spouse’s name in existing passport;
(d) Re-married applicants applying for change of name/spouse’s name in passport.

Except the details provided by the applicant (of any category mentioned above) in the application form, no proof of marriage/dissolution of marriage (court’s order for judicial separation/decree of divorce) etc. is required.”

(II) In other circumstances for change of name, the applicant (both male and female) should furnish:

(i) Clippings of two local news papers or the Gazette notification of the concerned State Government, as the case may be;
(ii) At least two public/school documents issued in the desired/ applied changed name to ascertain that the applicant has actually changed his name.

9. What is the procedure to change photograph of child in passport?

Ans: The applicant has to apply for a new passport. Please submit applications forms with 4 latest passport size colour photographs (white background), original passport and requisite fee. On the application form thumb print of the child is to be put if the child cannot sign.

10. What is the procedure to apply for duplicate passport in case of lost and damaged passport?

Ans: If the passport is damaged the applicant has to submit damaged passport along with the following:-

1. Application form duly filled up
2. Duly filled in personal particular form
3. Declaration as per specimen given in Annexure F (link)
4. 4 colour photos (white background) and requisite fee
5. Letter from the employer/company
6. Original Levy Receipt
7. Copy of Immigration ‘s computer print-out for valid visa

If the passport is lost, the applicant has to submit the following along with the application form:-

1. Police complaint report from Malaysian Police
2. Letter from Employer
3. Levy Receipt
4. Special pass from Immigration authorities
5. Copy of the passport
6. Duly filled in personal particular form
7. Declaration as per specimen given in Annexure F (link)

A duplicate passport is issued upon verification. The process of issuing duplicate passport takes approximately five weeks once documentation is completed.


1. Service fee would be charged by the ‘Passport and Other Consular Services Application Centre’ (PCSAC) over and above mentioned fees in case of application being submitted at the PCSAC.
2. Applicants desiring Tatkaal (Emergency) Passport Services may submit their completed application along with required documents directly at the High Commission of India between 0930 hrs to 1200 hrs on any working days. The Passport can be collected on third working day from the High Commission between 1630hrs to 1700 hrs.
3. Fee for a passport under Tatkaal scheme is inclusive of normal passport fee. The prescribed time limit is subject to fulfillment of all documentary requirements and completion of requisite formalities.

11. What is the procedure to apply for Emergency certificate (EC)?

Ans: When an Indian national loses his passport in Malaysia in the normal course he/she should apply for issue of a duplicate passport along with necessary documents. However, if he/she wishes to travel one way from Kuala Lumpur to India, then Emergency certificate is issued to him/her upon request. For this he/she has to get complaint report from Malaysian Police, confirmed air-ticket to India and submit along with copy of his/her passport or any documentary proof showing that he/she is an Indian National, application form and requisite fee. The applicant should also give a detailed statement of the circumstances necessitating issuance of Emergency Certificate. The EC will be issued after due verification.

12. Can parents sign on behalf of a child?

Ans: No, the parents cannot sign on behalf of the child. If the child cannot sign, the thumb impression of the child is to be put at place of signature. If the child is a girl right hand thumb impression is to be put and if it is a boy then left hand thumb impression is to be put.

13. What is the procedure for renouncing the Indian citizenship?

Ans: When an applicant opts to take foreign citizenship he has to apply for cancellation of his Indian passport. At the time of cancellation of his passport he has to submit original passport and original letter from Immigration and Checkpoints Authority along with photocopy of the passport.

14. I have shifted my residence. Should I change my address in the passport? If change is required, what are the documents required and how much time will it take?

Ans: It is up to you to change the address. It is always better if your passport indicates your current address. For this purpose, you need submit with valid proof of your residential address.

15. My Passport has been issued by one Passport Office outside Malaysia. Can I apply for services in the High Commission of India, Malaysia?

Ans: Yes. You can apply for all passport services at the Passport Office where you are presently residing.

16. I don’t have ECNR stamp in my Passport. Can I get it on the basis of my provisional matriculation or above certificate issued by the University/Board concerned?

Ans: We are no longer affixing ECNR stamp in passports. Currently, ECR stamp is only being put in passports. However, you are entitled to ECNR status if you possess qualification of Matriculation or above.

18. My passport expired 5 years ago. Can I renew it? What is the procedure for it?

Ans: In such a case, you have to fill up EAP-I form and submit it along with original/photocopy of your expired passport and proof of your residence/address. However, since the passport expired 5 years ago, fresh police verification will be required in your case. A confirmation would also be required from Malaysian JPN authorities that you have not acquired/ applied for Malaysian citizenship.

19. I am a student staying away from my parents. Where do I apply for passport and what proof of residence shall I have to furnish?

Ans: If you are a student staying in Malaysia and your parents are staying in India, you can apply at the BLS International Passport and Other Consular Services Outsourcing Center at Kuala Lumpur. For this purpose, along with the application form you have to provide four Personal Particulars forms. Please also indicate your hostel address/the place where you are staying in Malaysia as present address and your parent’s address in India as Permanent address.

For proof of residence at your hostel/place of stay, either you should provide a letter from the Principal/Warden or proof of residence of the guardian with whom you are staying along with the guardianship affidavit.

20. I shifted to Kuala Lumpur 7 months back from abroad. I have to apply for a passport. As per instructions, one should have stayed for at least one year at a given address. Can I apply for a passport at the BLS International Passport and Other Consular Services Outsourcing Centre at Kuala Lumpur? If so, please let me know the procedure.

Ans: Yes. You can apply at the BLS International Passport and Other Consular Services Outsourcing Centre at Kuala Lumpur.

For this purpose, you have to submit proof of seven months’ stay in Malaysia and also mention the previous address in the application form.

21. What will be the validity of passport for minor children?

Ans: Indian passports to minor children will be issued valid up to the date on which the child attains the age of 18 years. Parents of the children above the age of 15 years have the option to obtain their passports valid for 10 years by paying fee for normal passports.

Address: ,

Working hours: 0900 hours to 1730 hours (Monday to Friday)
Telephone Numbers:
Website Maintenance: ,
Copyright policy | Terms & Condition | Privacy Policy|
Hyperlinking Policy | Accessibility Option | Help

© High Commission of India, Malaysia 2015. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by: Ardhas Technology India Private Limited.