Home › Press Releases › Inauguration Of Grandeur Of Chola Temples Photo Exhibition At Georgetown Town Hall On 4th April, 2015 At 4 P.M
INAUGURATION OF GRANDEUR OF CHOLA TEMPLES PHOTO EXHIBITION AT GEORGETOWN TOWN HALL ON 4th APRIL, 2015 at 4 P.M
The High Commission of India, Kuala Lumpur, in collaboration with Penang State Government, is organizing the Grandeur of Chola Temples Photo Exhibition in Georgetown for the first time. This exhibition is organised in conjunction with the ongoing Festival of India in Malaysia 2015.
2. The Great Living Chola Temples were built by kings of the Chola Empire, which stretched over all of south India and the neighbouring islands. The site includes inter alian three great 11th- and 12th-century Temples: the Brihadisvara Temple at Thanjavur, the Brihadisvara Temple at Gangaikondacholapuram and the Airavatesvara Temple at Darasuram.
3. Grandeur of Chola Temples Photo Exhibition is drawn from the vast photo archives of the Center for Art and Archaeology of the American Institute of Indian Studies in India, which has been developed by the Center’s own scholars, photographers and draftsmen during the last 48 years.
4. The High Commission of India, Kuala Lumpur in association with the American Institute of Indian Studies, India is pleased to present a select photography exhibition of 60 of the magnificent Chola Temples, sculptures and bronzes in Penang. The State Government of Penang has given their full support to bring the exhibition to Georgetown.
5. The Chola Temples Photo Exhibition was successfully inaugurated on 16th March 2015 at prominent gallery Balai Seni Visual Negara (National Visual Arts Gallery) by Honorable Minister of Natural Resources and Environment H.E. Datuk Seri G. Palanivel. Several hundreds of people are still visiting the exhibition.
6. The exhibition in Penang will be inaugurated by Honourable Deputy Chief Minister of Penang H.E. Professor Dr P. Ramasamy at the Penang Town Hall, , Penang on 4th April March , 2015 at 4.00 p.m. The exhibition will continue till 12th April, 2015. The opening hours of the exhibition will be from 10.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. (Monday to Sunday)
7. The entry for the exhibition is ‘FREE’.
8. All are invited to view this historic and beautiful collection of photographs of the great Chola Temples. The exhibition will also be held in Ipoh, Perak and Sungai Petani, Kedah.
GRANDEUR OF CHOLA TEMPLES OF INDIA INVITATION